All grains contain peptides that mimic morphine or endogenous opioid substances. This is where I deal with my latest loaf craving. Get your bread-based exorphin fix here.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Everyday Bread #52 - Camp Bread in a Dutch Oven: Evan's Bread

Camp Bread #3: 
Evan's Trail Mix Bread Baked in a Dutch Oven

This was an experiment with less than 18 hours fermentation.  My nephew's son Evan helped me put it together.


Dough:
  • 2 c multigrain flour
  • 1 c rye flour
  • 1 c cold tea
  • 1/2 c water
  • ? more than 1/4 tsp yeast ( a little bit more than the last time)
  • ? less than 1 1/4 tsp salt (a little bit less than last time)

We are still just measuring by hand (or in this case, Evan's hand).

Evan thought that we should add raisins, so I picked some raisins out of a trail mix that we had in a bag at the campsite.  Evan also thought that the papaya and pineapple chunks in the mix might go nicely in the bread.  And the banana chips he thought might give it an interesting texture.  Maybe the peanuts might be nice in bread, then you wouldn't have to even put peanut butter on it.  Heck, we just tossed in handfuls of trail mix.  Some for me, some for you, some for the  bread...

Method:

Evan was going to be in his tent sleeping for the actual baking, so I took over for this part.
8:15-8:30 p.m. I folded it (That's about a 12 hour ferment)
9:00 pm fire was started.


9:25 p.m. preheated the Dutch Oven.
10:00 p.m. Dough in the pot, pot on top, away from the coals.


10:20 p.m. Bread was "done".

My sister-in-law Kathy had come back at this point with a rather large pickerel she had caught out on the lake at dusk, and taking pictures of that became a distraction for me to record all the bread-baking times.

I did put the pot back on the coals for a few minutes with the lid off, then thought better of it.  To me, it looked done.  But it was very dark at this point, and everyone was getting ready for bed, so I felt like winding it all up.

Once again the loaf was placed in the car to cool overnight.  At 0400 I awake to hear raccoons sniffing around the car, looking for a way in.  This loaf, they thought, smelled interesting.

This loaf was eaten by most of us, although it didn't get the raves that the previous loaf had.

Notes to Myself
  • This bread was not completely cooked through. Although it looked done on top, it was still gooey inside in places.
  • The bread probably needs 20-25 minutes lid on, off the coals, then 10-15 minutes back on the coals (lid on or off, depending on the top crust)
  • More raisins, less peanuts or other fruit (papayas, pineapples, bananas)
  • Toasting can almost make an undercooked bread palatable. Almost.
  • Evan would not eat his own bread, but he was willing to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment