All grains contain peptides that mimic morphine or endogenous opioid substances. This is where I deal with my latest loaf craving. Get your bread-based exorphin fix here.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

25% Rye with translucent onions and bread spice





The Backslopping Baker 
A Sourdough Baker from Brungerly
always backslopped his dough quite stubbornly.
His wife was nonplussed;
when he kissed her she sussed
he had backslopped her mouth with his tonguerly.



Four Breads
I made 4 breads, and as usual gave half of them away.  Thank goodness I have one friend who will take my bread without much complaint.  I don't even have to kiss him.

The boules are simply 100% ww sourdough bread, my current staple.  I froze mine (so there are no pictures here of the crumb).

The other, longer but mishappen loaves are 25% rye, 75% ww sourdough loaves with almost-caramelized onions and bread spice (and the usual 5% wheat germ, 2% salt).  I heated the chopped sweet onion in some olive oil, and got it translucent but not browned.  I added it to the dough, and mixed it in 30 minutes after adding the salt and the final water (the final water brought the hydration to 72%).  The bread was mixed and stretched and turned and baked in the usual Tartine Bread style.



Flat and misshapen: over-proofed because oil tore apart the gluten and the onions sweetness overfed the yeast?




Gave one away, froze one: no crumb shot of this one, but I've seen it before many times.


When I bake only for myself, I tend to get a bit sloppy.  If you saw this rye loaf in a store, you would pass it by, I'm sure.  Fortunately, I don't have to pretty things up to sell these loaves.  Still, occasionally there are times when I'll make some bread and am so ashamed of it I won't give it away, I'll eat it all myself, hanging my head in shame with each slice cut.  The friend who usually gets my bread says, "It would have to be really bad to not want to even give it away."

Well, sometimes it is that bad.  But these were at least good enough to give away.


Results
Excellent taste, this loaf got me through a weekend of work.  I ate it some with miso, and some with old cheddar.




I did not care for the way the loaf sagged.  It was overproofed, and had expanded beyond the banneton top.



Some dough stuck to the basket.  I scraped it off and made a misshapen bun with it, and baked it in the hot Dutch Ovens in the cooling oven, after the other loaves were finished. 



 It was fine too.
Nothing wrong with the way it tasted, but it too didn't look all that great.


And there was little to no oven spring.  This resulted in a very flat loaf.  But it tasted so good, I'm not sure I'd do anything different.

Notes to Myself
  • I think that the onions contributed to the speed with which this dough fermented; and the oil on the onions probably contributed to the breakdown of the gluten in the loaf, contributing to the sag.

No comments:

Post a Comment